Medical assistants in California are an important part of the healthcare team and their job duties can vary depending on the type of medical practice they work in. Here is a general medical assistant job description in California:
Job Title: Medical Assistant
Job Summary: A medical assistant in California is responsible for providing clinical and administrative support to healthcare providers in a medical setting.
- Clinical Duties:
- Prepare patients for examination by taking vital signs, obtaining medical history and documenting chief complaint.
- Assist healthcare providers with medical procedures such as injections, EKG, and phlebotomy.
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens, perform basic lab tests, and perform CLIA-waived tests.
- Administer medication and vaccines under the direction of the provider.
- Assist with patient education and provide basic health information and instructions.
- Administrative Duties:
- Greet patients, answer phone calls and schedule appointments.
- Verify patient information, insurance and update patient medical records.
- Manage patient flow and ensure that patients are seen in a timely manner.
- Assist with medical billing and coding, and complete insurance forms.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies and equipment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of a medical assisting program from an accredited school.
- Certification as a medical assistant from an accredited organization.
- Good communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and ability to use electronic health records (EHR).
The salary of a medical assistant in California can vary depending on the location, type of medical practice, and level of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for medical assistants in California was $39,800 in May 2020.
Overall, medical assistants in California play a critical role in the healthcare industry and their job duties help to ensure that healthcare providers can provide high-quality patient care.